Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Lisa A. Kwoka - Question & Philosophy

Lisa A. Kwoka

N. Votteler

SHSU Writing Project

8 June 2011

The Teacher Exploration Workshop (The Question and Profile & Philosophy): Making Grammar Instruction Count

The Question:
How can I ensure students transfer learned grammar skills to their own writing?
Philosophy & Profile:
This matters to be me because classroom instruction should be applicable to real life.
It would appear students master grammar concepts if grades on grammar exercises serve as indicators. However, if student writing served as the indicator grammar proficiency would be received deficiency marks at best. Student writing does not indicate students’ ability to transfer mastered grammar concepts. In the past months, I have read articles centered on this topic. These articles shed light on researchers’ belief in student writing truly being the key to unlocking this problem. The recommendation is to abandon isolated grammar instruction. Instead, researchers encourage educators to use the errors in students’ writing to drive instruction. I’m all for work shopping a piece of student writing with its author. In the S.I., I’d like to dig deeper into the question I’ve posed and also into the logistics of individually work shopping student writing with large numbers of students. This concern results from the sinking feeling I get each time I read over student writing riddled with blaring errors. I can’t help but feel that the student was aware of such an in your face error when he or she turned the paper in. When questioned, however the student feigns ignorance. If the student truly did not see the error, then teaching proof reading techniques are the least I can do for my students. Proof reading strategies alone feel inadequate, however. I feel like I’m failing to treat the real problem which appears to be students’ inability to create the most polished piece of writing possible.
Most recently, I worked at a local high school where the demographics reported approximately 70% Black, 20 % Hispanic, and 10% White/Other. The only other significant factor I was made aware of during my employment there was that there was a tremendous amount of moving within the district. By this I mean, parents were so impoverished that it was not incomprehensible for a family to move every three months to a new residence to avoid eviction. Poverty adds additional stress to any learning community. I don’t know how much of a factor it plays in student writing, but I can not discount it in my search for assistance with my question.
***Disclaimer... I’m so tired I’m bleary eyed. I feel fairly certain many of these sentences can be re-written so as to present a much more reader-friendly text. My apologies if you’ve struggled to understand this text and reserve the right to fix it up tomorrow. I’ve submitted it at this time only out of respect for those who have asked for it by this evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment