Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Discussion-Because Digital Writing Matters (Introduction)

I couldn't remember if we were supposed to do this on-line to, so I did just in case.

1. The first quote that made a lot of sense, was on page 2 in the introduction. It was talking about how students have a higher level of availability to Internet access. This doesn’t mean that learning will take place automatically. Students still need a mentor or guide that is prepared. I agree with this because there are many teachers that are opened to technology but there are still teachers that refuse to use it. It is our jobs as teachers to motivate students and relate their learning to real life experiences. This would be the use of computers. On page 10 it talks about an elementary teacher asking her students to join in on a word processing space. All the students put their input, which I thought was great. The part I didn’t agree with was pulling it up on a projector and asking students to point out student’s responses that were salient. I feel this might embarrass some of the students. I think that because I would have been one of those students. I think this would defiantly be a challenge that teachers need to really think about. Digital literacy is wonderful as long as we help students feel safe and comfortable using it.

2. The chapter I would be most interested in reading, would be chapter 2 because it talks about the writing process and how to write in a digital world. It will focus in on how teachers can use digital tools to help students and their writing.

1 comment: